Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Eggplant Burgers- My Substitute for the Beef

I gave up meat the first of this year and right along with it my beloved favorite meal: hamburgers on the charcoal grill made all the way, fries, and a drink. I have been trying like hell to find a substitute for my beloved meat burgers but could find none. None that could live up to my standards that is. Until this. Dey is a Gawd!

The main ingredient of course, is eggplant. I love eggplant anyway so this was right up my alley. And to boot the recipe isnt even that hard! So without further ado here it is.

3 medium eggplant
1 onion
1 green pepper
minced garlic
2-3 egg whites
salt, pepper, whatever other seasonings you like to taste
Liquid Smoke (optional)

First you want to grate the eggplant. Be prepared to put your back into it because that was some hard work. Peeling it makes it easier to do. Then  grate the onion and green pepper and add it to the eggplant along with the minced garlic. Make sure that once you mix all this up, you squeeze out as much liquid as you can. THIS IS IMPORTANT! Next add the egg whites and stir. Again, attempt to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Add seasonings. Form them into patties. Hint: while you are forming them into patties, squeeze even more of the juice out. From this point you can either bake them or fry them up.

I put mine on the charcoal grill. I have one of those cage-like things that you use to grill veggies and all you have to do is flip the cage to cook them on the other side. This pic is the burgers after I pulled them off the grill. I was so hungry that I didnt take a pic of the finished burger and home made fries. I was ready to eat.

I have to admit that this was excellent. It even passed the taste test of my son who loves burgers more than I do and he was ready to hate it! I am so happy that I finally found a substitute that is equal to the flavor of a regular hamburger. Its on now!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I know that eggplant can be substituted for meat in most recipes, but hamburgers. I definitely learned something new. Very simple recipe as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete