Sunday, April 22, 2012

How To Catch Rainwater - for FREE!!


I know there are many things out there that are designed to collect rainwater, but for me I just dont want to pay for them. Especially when I can collect the water for free. Or near free. I have been looking for years at this spot from my front porch where the roof meets in a V formation and it causes the rain water to gush in torrents into a bush right in front of my porch. Lately I have wanted some rainwater for my garden to use when it doesnt rain because plants love rain water over the chlorinated crap that comes out of the spigot. So today as I watched it rain and I saw all that rain pouring down in front of my porch in torrents I remembered I had an empty container that I originally bought for worm composting that went bust ( thats another story) that would be perfect to catch that water. So I plopped it right down in the middle of the bush and let it fill up. 
This is the bush that the container was sitting in.
 I had to pull it down once it got somewhat full.
While that was filling up I looked at the gutter on the other side of the porch that was shooting down water and I decided to use a bowl to collect that too.

This whole production took about 30 minutes for my container to get full. The plan is to hold my gallon jugs into the water and fill those, then water my plants in the garden. It took a little bit of work, but I think it was worth it in the end. I plan to do this when I can whenever it rains.
I got more water than this. I just took a pic when it was at this point.



No comments:

Post a Comment