Sunday, January 10, 2010

Thankful

Im sitting here now feeling a bit sorry for myself. Well, not exactly sorry for myself but slightly irritated. Im irritated with my skin. I have been battleing acne ever since I was 14 years old. Im now 31 and I think its high time Im done with dealing with this.

I have gone to a derm and the meds I was on worked wonders and my skin finally looked good enough for me not to want to hide away in my home and not want to meet new people, not want to go out in public, not want people to look at me when I talked to them, not to feel like I look ugly. I was estatic to have my skin look like it did when I was 13. More or less.

I got pregnant and had to get off the meds and surprise surprise the acne came back. Now that I can take my meds again for some reason its making my skin look even more horrible than it was when I was pregnant. Im now back in the same rut as before, ashamed to be seen, not wanting to meet new people, ect.

Then I got to thinking. Im sitting here complaining about bad skin, and some people dont even have skin at all. Maybe they are a burn victim or suffer from a genetic disorder of some sort. Im complaining about my skin being jacked up when there is at least one person I know who doesnt even have a face! Think of the Connecticut woman whose friends chimp ripped her face off.

My point is, no matter how bad we think we have it, there is someone who has it worse. I remember growing up my father used to say that if 5 people had to put their problems on a piece of paper and fold it and put it in a hat and if you reach in and randomly pick a problem then it would be yours, would you want to accept it? Of course I wouldnt because 9x out of 10 their problem is worse than yours.

So instead of whining and complaining and hurting myself by dwelling on what my skin is, I am going to concentrate of what my skin isnt or what it could be. Im going to be thankful for what I have instead of what I dont because it could always be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment